Monday, May 24, 2010

Scorpions for lunch?

Just landed in Singapore after 3 days in Beijing, China. Unfortunately, I was unable to get access to my blog to post up to date information, so I'm going to try and catch you up a little.

Although the purpose of this trip was strictly business, there were moments when I asked myself to what lengths does a person go to represent his organization well? His own manhood? His family name? His nation? Okay, I went a little too far there! But to what degree does one go to when it comes to food and not wanting to offend guests? I know, I know. I have friends who say "try everything at least once, it's not going to kill you" or "don't be chicken." But hey, they weren't sitting at the same dinner table!

Let me give you an example of what I ate a few nights ago. I also rated them, with five stars being excellent.
  • Duck Tongue (felt like I was eating one of my knuckles) * See photo above.
  • Duck Feet Webbing (I've never tasted human skin before, but I wonder if? ... no) *
  • Goose Liver (very rich and thick with jelly on top) *
  • Curried Tofu (loved it) * * * *
  • Bamboo Soup (this is from the inside of a bamboo plant and I was assured it was not the type I would find in my garden. That gave me some comfort) * * *
  • Peking Duck (Five Start rating says it all) * * * * *
  • Fried Chilli Shrimp with the shell * * * * * (Stunning taste once you get past the sensation of feeling as though you're eating a cockroach)
  • Pea Leaf * * * * (I had to throw in at least one healthy dish)
  • Fried Bean Curd Skin * * * (Better than it looked - quite tasty)
  • Lychees for dessert * * * * (Beautiful. Fresh. Not canned. We got to peel the skin off them)
There were other dishes too, but some of them had such elaborate names I can't remember them. Possibly just as well. It would be remiss of me not mention how much I appreciate the sensitivity of some of my friends. One even sent me a twitter message to let me know that he had just eaten a hamburger as if to say, he was having more of a good time than I was! He might have enjoyed his meal, but he doesn't have the same bragging rights!

Just when I was content that I had 'taken one for the team', three of my friends, Stan, John and Wee Min came back the following day from one of their escapades to brag that they had just eaten fried scorpion. I let that one go. I wasn't in the mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment